Friday, August 20, 2010

Ahhhhh, Dublin... (or, we're "dublin" over with laughter)

We arrived this morning before 9 am - I only slept a few winks on the plane. Our Flight Attendant warned us that regulating that particular plane's temperature was going to be tough. In a brogue she said, "We can either hatch baby chicks or hang meat in here. We'll see how it goes." But that wasn't the beginning of the laughs...

Previously, in my semi-permanent stressed state from too much work and not enough sleep, I had a cab driver bring us to the wrong terminal at Logan.

Then, Katie forgot to remove the pouched liquids from her bag which turned her into a potential security threat. So a female FTA worker came over to frisk her. "Do you remember me, Professor?" she said. That's right - one of her former students had to get frisky with Katie. That was a tad awkward...

Once on the plane, an exceptionally cranky and queeny Flight Attendant decided to badger the nice Irish father of four behind us. That resulted in the passenger calling the Attendant an a**hole - or as he later clarified to the Supervising Attendant, "I didn't call him an a**hole. I said, 'Don't BE an a**hole." You say a**-taeto; I say a**-tahto. The 60-something year old, smirking Supervising Attendant made the passenger promise to not call the Flight Attendant an a**hole again - he politely complied. For the record: the Flight Attendant was being a TOTAL a**-tahto...

When we arrived in Dublin, we picked up our car - which is a Suzuki that is actually smaller than my Mini! (...and slightly larger than a breadbox.) I proceeded to drive on the left side of the road - which for any American is the wrong side. But that has gone quite well. I even managed to find our B&B without much trouble - quite a stroke of luck, seeing as Dublin is saving money by not posting street signs... ;-)

We've met some fun people, drank some great beer (one of which, the bartender had me pour for myself! - thank you JP at The Stand), and had some great food. So far we have walked about 6-7 miles of the city and give big thumbs up to Trinity College, Temple Bar, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green and the people of Dublin, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment