Monday, June 13, 2011

Fly me to the lagoon

Day 2 - Iceland

Yesterday, we decided to drive to the Blue Lagoon. We got up, Katie had her customary 2 croissants and I had my customary 2 cups of coffee, and we were off.

We followed a general directional sense and a simple map in the southwest direction. There are so few roads that it is difficult to make a mistake - granted, the town names are routinely 15-20 letters long. We kept the ocean on our right and the volcanic moonscape on our left.

Suddenly, distant steam plumes played against steep mountainsides. Upon closing in, we realized the plumes were from the lagoon. We took a narrow road off the 2 lane highway and snaked through basalt and moss toward the facility. In the last 1/4 mile, we got out fist sight of the milky white and blue water next to the road.

The facility is top notch. Wrist bands have microchips that act as credit card, access keys and locker combinations. We rented towels and robes and headed for the dressing rooms. You are required to take a nude shower before donning your bathing suit and entering the lagoon - this is where you can easily spot the Americans - waiting in line for the private shower stalls.

After showering, we walked down to the picturesque lagoon. It is a giant azure steam bath, surrounded by black volcanic rock. We waded into the soothing water and relaxation began to penetrate every muscle. I wandered to the bar in the lagoon and ordered a cocktail - completing my relaxation.

We found one of the silica mask dispensers and lathered the white butter onto our faces, shoulders and arms. It was a cooling sensation. Rinsing it off revealed the softest skin I've had since I was an infant.

After spending 20 minutes in the lagoon, I found it tough to carry my weight on my legs. I found a deck chair, shielded myself from the sun with my robe, and fell asleep. The rest I got was amazing!

I felt more deeply relaxed than I have felt in years. I thought the lagoon would be a fun touristy thing to do - I didn't realize it could be considered so therapeutic.

We wanted to have dinner close to the water. So, we drove back to Reykjavik and went to a hotel that I originally thought was ours. When I'd left it 2 days ago, I saw that it had a restaurant called Panorama on the top floor. When we arrived via elevator, the view was breathtaking. The menu prices were a bit steep and we didn't have reservations. So, we negotiated the best table by offering to be out in 30 minutes. We ordered a cream of mushroom soup, a lobster soup and mojito. Reykjavikurs love their mint cocktails. All 3 items were fabulous - how fabulous? It was SO good that not even Michael Bolton singing "Fly me to the Moon" on repeat could ruin it!

Then we went down to the water to visit the Viking ship sculpture and watch the Atlantic terns bomb the water for THEIR dinner. A perfect day. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment